Mobile Myths – Busters: 5 Common Myths About Marketing on Mobile Devices
These Mobile Myths About Necessary Strategies Will Hinder an Effective Campaign
If “following the money” gives a pretty good indication of where an industry is trending, then mobile marketing has more than just “arrived.” Mobile budgets surged 142% between 2011 and 2013, according to a recent Interactive Advertising Bureau survey of 300 brand marketers. But a few inevitable misconceptions have taken hold at the same time, getting in the way of smarter and more successful campaigns. With this in mind, let’s bust a few myths:
1. Consumers primarily use their mobile devices on the go….AOL Networks and the University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science conducted an in-depth study…..,a whopping 75% of all mobile impressions were viewed within the home. So if you want to reach mobile audiences on a large scale, a campaign that targets users on the sidewalk outside of Macy’s may not (yet) be your best bet.
2. Consumers will buy on mobile only if the process required is simple….The AOL-Virginia study found that nearly one-third of digital conversions across travel, retail, automotive and telecom occurred on a mobile device. IBM just reported that mobile transactions accounted for about 26% of total online sales on Thanksgiving and nearly 22% on Black Friday.
3. My mobile campaign must be a great success — it’s getting tons of views/downloads/clicks….Millions of impressions for an ad appearing on Angry Birds may simply mean that you’re hitting a whole lot of 4-year-olds who have commandeered their mom or dads’ phones….an impression is not a result.
4. Longer visits mean better engagement….Ads viewed by consumers on the first few pages of content that they open during a session result in deeper engagement and higher conversion rate…Impressions paired with great content will be wasted if the viewer is already deep into a web surfing session.
5. You need a mobile-only strategy…A consumer might view an ad on her mobile phone in the morning, and see one on her desktop at work before making a purchase on her iPad that night.
As mobile marketing continues to evolve, growing pains are inevitable. The marketers that learn to separate myths from reality will come out ahead.
See Full Adage story here: Mobile Myth-Busters: 5 Common Myths About Marketing on Mobile Devices
Author: Chad Gallagher
[More about Sovereign Media about=”About Sovereign Media Branded Entertainment”]
Search Sovereign Media
Sovereign Media Tag Cloud
GFX Reel for Networks and Branded Entertainment
Recent Sovereign Media Blog Posts
- Behind the scenes on a recent TV Commercial Production August 10, 2016
- Behind the scenes on a TV Commercial Production February 15, 2016
- Amazon’s Fast-Growing Video Service Has Already Overtaken Hulu, Apple April 9, 2014
- New Corvette gets driven by Scarlett Johansson in ‘Captain America’ April 9, 2014
- 76% of Marketing Execs Say They Don’t Target With Behavioral Data March 21, 2014